Friday, March 13, 2009

An Autopsy of My Day

Today started out with beautiful weather and endless possibilities.
I was going to clear off my desk,
Write.  Write.  Write some more.
Clean out my son's room because the handyman was coming to take apart some furniture we're selling.
I was going to do carpool.
And write or even READ before dinner.

Sounds lovely.

HA!  Joke was on me.

Instead...

I took my dogs to the park because my puppy would have eaten me otherwise.
I talked to my pool man for 45 minutes about ...nothing.
I talked to my neighbor for 30 minutes about ...nothing.
I watched my handyman try to disassemble my son's furniture for an hour.
Which ultimately he couldn't disassemble without breaking because the person who helped us put it together in the first place, did TOO good a job.
I spent the next hour watching him take a very loud hammer to it and waiting for the cops to come.

Did I mention this was the piece I had designed for my first born as a show of motherly love?
The piece that I lovingly handed down to my son after he was born.
The piece I was hoping to hand down to some other lucky child the day my kids got too old.
Like today? 

Wanna see a picture?  


Okay, it was messy (8 year old boy's room, yo!)
But cute, no?

WELL, NOW IT'S DEAD!  Slaughtered. Along with my heart.

So I spent the rest of the afternoon reaching deep inside my pantry and pulling out comfort food: a chocolate bar, some cookies, some tortilla chips (hint of lime, yum, ugh), peanut butter, dried apricots, peanuts...there was more but I think I blacked out after that.

Did I mention I'd been cutting out carbs and sugar?

So, I didn't get to clear out my desk, or write, or read.

And the only thing endless about this day turned out to be MY STOMACH!
UGH!

Anyone have a Tums?

10 Comments:

cpckqueen said...

how bad of a death?

Marinka said...

*That* was a messy room?

Anonymous said...

Marinka: Not the room, the piece! But now everything that was on that piece is on his floor!

shrink on the couch said...

I love the little roll out containers. Were those hand crafted? Sorry about the shelving demise. It's a good excuse (as any) for a binge.

Anonymous said...

GAH, what a frustrating day. That piece of furniture is beautiful! And if that's what it looks like "messy" I am sold. Oh but wait, it's a pile of rubble. Damn.

I've got the raging PMS, so I'm right there with you on the snacking - but at least my pantry looks a little bit neater!

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

Ah, I SO do that. I'm an emotional eater too. You've been cutting out crabs and sugar? I have been meaning to do that! Or rather, resume, since the pestilence (flu) that hit our house in the past 2 weeks has made it hard for me to hit anything... but somehow carbs get through ;-)

Also, I'm afraid I won't ever be able to invite you over. Because if you ever saw what a messy room looks like over here, you might faint. And then once you came to, you'd likely run away screaming. And then blog about what a messy place the Unlikely Housewife has (ah, but I do have some fabulous shoes!) :-)

Manic Mommy said...

Are you quite sure your handyman isn't an idiot?

Elisa (just above me) said she's cutting out crabs. That's gotta put a smile on your face.

I ate an entire bag of chips with a whole jar of peach mango salsa the other day. PMS much?

ByJane said...

What is it with us--all those good intentions frittered away to what? Life? Living? Why do we do it? Why aren't we like everyone else who Gets Things Done, Doesn't Waste Time, and ACHIEVES!!!! I always thought it was a Catholic school education that was responsible for that mentality. But maybe it's that they're OCD and we're just dysthymic. Ya think?

the mama bird diaries said...

Sigh... some days are like that.

Where's the messy room?

CaySedai said...

What makes a person who doesn't own something think he can destroy it because he can't take it apart correctly? Hope he pays you for damages.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.