Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Love Affair With Merlotmom

If you've been reading my blog lately, and of course most of you have, you know that as of today, I am officially in transit to Japan! Yay! I am on my way to the airport, or in the airport, or on the tarmac, or in the plane flying over the Pacific right now. So, while the cats away, the mice will play, and I've lined up some pretty talented rodents for your reading pleasure.

Today, you'll be hearing from Meghan from A Mom Two Boys. I don't have to link to her because she's already done that below (she's thorough that way). I would tell you how Meghan and I met, fell in love, and would have had babies were it not for a thing called biology (and husbands), but being thorough and quick, she beat me to the punch and wrote all about it right here! I know you'll love her like I do.

Hi! I'm Meghan, of AMomTwoBoys. When Merlot Mom first approached me and insisted asked me to write a guest post for her I was all "Of COURSE I will!" because, I mean really!? Who isn't scared shitless doesn't love Merlot Mom? I know I DO. And since you're reading this, I can only assume you do to. And because I'm going to be talking about her today, I'm going to be lazy and start calling her MM to save us all a bit of time, k?

MM started this here blog way back on the second to last day of December, 2007. A mere seven and a half months ago, with this post. In it, she talked about drinking wine, heating up a frozen dinner, passing out on her son's pillow, va-jay-jay's, and she admitted to being better at keeping in touch electronically than she was at keeping in touch in REAL LIFE. And you know what? I fell in love with her right then and there.

But not really, because I didn't find her until early July. As in, a little over a month ago. I remember it well. It was gloomy sunny July morning and our mutual friend, Manic Mommy, had just linked to each of us in a post. Being a lover of vino, I was immediately drawn to this "Merlot Mom" person that Manic Mommy had tagged for a meme. So, of course, I immediately popped over to her site, where I was met with this post. And then I read a few more and was immediately drawn in.

Then, she replied to my comments and an email love affair soon commenced. We bonded over our love of wine, cerveza and mojito's, our extreme dislike for Kathie Lee Gifford and the fact that our houses are decorated in much the same style (although hers is nicer and MUCH cleaner than mine). And then she joined AllMediocre and our friendship was cemented. Until July 11th, a mere 4 days and 1,000 emails after our first meeting, when she emailed me with the news that would break my heart. She was leaving me in the dust and joining Alltop. Freaking Alltop, my AllMediocre's nemesis.

There were sweet "It's not you it's me"'s whispered in my ear via email. The usual "We can still be friends, can't we" was bantered about. Of course the answer was yes, but my heart was broken. I was even compelled to write a post about it. I was devastated.

But MM and I were destined to be friends, which was even more obvious when we met in San Francisco at the BlogHer conference. It's like we're twins, separated by 17 years. Here we are with some of our BlogHer Bitches:
blogherbitches
That's us in the middle.

Even the tragic accident she experienced at BlogHer couldn't keep us apart. Well, okay, it kind of kept us apart physically, because she spent so much damn time traipsing around San Francisco that she totally neglected me missed some kick ass opportunities to hang out with me. But it couldn't really tear us apart.

And upon our return home, MM quickly defected from Alltop to rejoin AllMediocre which only served to further harden the cement in which our friendship was rooted. That's right. I said it. Our friendship is rooted in CEMENT. Which doesn't REALLY seem like something you'd want to "root" in, but I'm confident that the copious amounts of wine flowing through our veins at any given time will keep us strong. And the fact that we're two awesome bitches who were destined to be friends, well that helps too.

I love you, Merlot Mom! And I know that you're rocking your trip to Japan right now, having an awesome, stress free time. Those poor people aren't going to know what hit em! But hurry back, k? Cause we miss you. Mwah.

12 Comments:

Lorrie Veasey said...

Hi Merlot Mom- hope you get this comment and apologies to your guest writer.
I found your blog through your comment on Dooce. I know how much you enjoyed viewing her movie about cooking and eating edamame. You can view the East Coast video response to that cinematic masterpiece at www.ournameisblog.blogspot.com We hope you will leave a comment; we promise you won't lose another 10 minutes from your life without some entertainment beyond water boiling and dog wound licking.

Maggie, Dammit said...

Awwwwww!

This is so sweet. :)

I can't find my blog said...

Yay to Meghan for a funny post-yet again.

Love you both, AND AllMed!

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

How sweet that you two managed to get to know each other via 1000 emails in 4 days. I would have had to stop to pee or eat or something.

Anonymous said...

WTF, Lorrie Veasey?

Anonymous said...

First of all - I don't know if I could be more jealous about Japan. I'm already wishing that I could be in Bejing - but hey - I'll take Japan!

I found AllMediocre in July shortly after I started my own blog, so this is the first I've heard of the AMomTwoBoys/MerlotMom love story. But I really like anything that has to do with wine... Brought a tear to my eye. Who says you can't can't find true love online!

JCK said...

I'm completely with Meghan. MM is a gem. I just wish I had partied with those wild girls more at BlogHer, but then I would have REALLY been tired when I got home.

Marinka said...

So sweet! Thanks for letting us eavesdrop on your affair!

;)

anymommy said...

I adore you both and want to party with you both! Sweet post Meghan.

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity to delurk and say hello Merlot Mom! Well I suppose you'll see this when you get back from your adventures in Japan.

"....she admitted to being better at keeping in touch electronically than she was at keeping in touch in REAL LIFE."

That right there, describes me to a T! I'm glad I'm not the only one like that.

Maura said...

That is a very sweet story, indeed. A veritable lovefest! I feel a little like an intruder just reading about it, but maybe you two have an open relationship that way. :-)

Eternal Sunshine said...

I don't know how I've missed out MerlotMommy so far, but I certainly love you, Meghan, and since you love MM, then so do I!!

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.