Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Boobs, Big Butts and I'm "100" Today

Barbara Walters is on the interview trail plugging her autobiography, Audition. Of course, the media is focusing more on her sexual affairs and celebrity friends than they are her trailblazing news career as the first female to cover politics and other formally male-dominated journalistic arenas.

I wonder if Barbara, now in the twilight years of her career, realized when she started The View that she would be taking women (and the public's view of women) back to the pre-Gloria Steinem age?

Okay, not always but VERY often. One case in point - Elisabeth Hasselbeck. This beautiful, intelligent woman needs to develop her internal editor so other intelligent women looking for a female "view" on the news need not be subjected to her constant cat fighting and "intimate" chats about her body parts. (See here and here.)

T.M.I.

The show has become an embarrassing caricature of what I assume Barbara initially had in mind. Elisabeth, Rosie, Sherri, and others, are grist for the cartoon media mill. I'm upset and embarrassed by how The View puts bright, successful women in the public spotlight only to shine on them the aura of silly, sorority schoolgirls.


P.S. This is my 100th post!

Do I get an award or should I call Elisabeth Hasselbeck for a chest to pin it on?

3 Comments:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

ooooo, you're gonna get a lotta Google hits on your big boobs and butts! :)

Anonymous said...

I was subjected to torture at the nail salon yesterday by being forced to watch Elisabeth Hasselbeck on Rachel Ray's show - the two of them together were too much for me to bear and my eyes began to bleed before I could convince the owner to PLEASE CHANGE THE CHANNEL. (Sobbing, hysterical customers can be bad for your business, dude!)

It is customary in some areas of the blogosphere to post 100 facts about yourself to celebrate your 100th post.

I await it with bated breath. Seriously.

mac said...

Congratulations on hitting 100! I'd like to think that you are going to savor the moment, but who am I kidding? I know you are already hard at work on 101. Looking forward to it.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.