Thursday, May 8, 2008

Blog Her Conference '08 - Premature Anxiety


I know I'm a bit early in asking this question but if I don't do it now, I may forget to ask altogether and then I'll show up a day late and a dollar short and curse myself silly.

So...

...since this is my first time and I know some of you have been to BlogHer before, can you guys tell me and other newbies what we will need? So far, I've heard business cards but then I watched the mom blogger segment on the Today show this morning (check out this mom's blog for the video) and I saw that everyone at BlogHerBusiness was furiously tapping away on their laptops. Then elsewhere I read a suggestion to bring a power strip. (I, an apparent Luddite, thought I'd carry around a notebook. What was I thinking!)

Aaaaagh!! My head hurts!!! Please help!! This is worse than traveling abroad!!

I'm going to have anxiety dreams about showing up, eager to make a good impression, and instead greeting my new friends with zit cream on my face or naked from the waist up.

Who can spare me (and other beginners) this humiliation? If I get enough info I'll put together a BlogHer checklist post.

Thanks. Wish me tranquil dreams.

8 Comments:

KatBouska said...

Hi, I just wandered into your blog while browsing and I'm with you on this one. I am so lost in all this. Information overload.

S said...

BUSINESS CARDS? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Not me. And I'm going with the notebook. The SPIRAL one.

S said...

PS I think BlogHer business is a whole different ball o' wax from regular old BlogHer.

Manic Mommy said...

I. want. to. go. so. bad!

Cute shoes and slimming outfits would be tops on my list.

And Tylenol.

ByJane said...

Yes, business cards. I just threw a bunch in the scanner to show you. They are exchanged and collected and they're how you remember who you met and want to link to after the conference. Last year at BlogHer they had a booth set up in the conference hall where you could buy some of a basic design--and they ran out of stock before the conference was over! You can go from the ridiculous to the sublime in your creation of the card. You can print them yourself or have them done at Staples, et at. Some people also use MOO cards. They are heavy stock photo cards, about 1"x2" with the printing on the blank side. One place to find out about them is Flickr. I have 18 different photos of mine from flickr and the opposite side gives all my urls, and a photo of me.

BlogHer (the site) has an entire category devoted to the Conferences. Go and look. This year they're even doing a special get-acquainted party for the newbies.

ByJane said...

Second question: the laptop. I took mine the first two years. Lugged it around. As did almost everyone else. This is a BLOGGING conference, ladies! We've left the Luddites at home! BlogHer is set up to blog! The tables will be set up for plugging in. Everyone will plug in. You'll see.

And Slouching Mom: I've never been to BlogHer Business. I'm talking here about the two BlogHer conferences ('6 and '7) that I went to in San Jose and Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Kathy- Keep checking in and check the BlogHer website, hopefully we'll both figure it all out.

Slouching Mom - I don't know...sounds like we better bring our laptops or suffer the newbie consequences - do you think hazing is involved?

ByJane - thank you, thank you. We'll consider you sorority leader in making sure all the pledges are well-informed and prepared. It's your mission should you choose to accept it. This blog will self-destruct in 10 seconds...10,9,8...

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I can't even THINK of going as I have 3 birthdays to contend with that weekend: (My father's, my husband's, and mine.) Maybe next year...

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.