Thursday, March 6, 2008

LOVE, THE WIFE


I read somewhere in blogland that today is "Love Thursday". This fits right in with what I wanted to write about and that is...I can't believe I'm going to say this out loud, to other people... I LOVE MY HUSBAND. Hubby, are you sitting down? Ugh, that's even hard for me to write. That may not seem like a big deal to any of you, but that was BIG.

I am not one to publicly, or even privately, profess my love for anyone, other than my kids and dog (they're SAFE don't you know) but after this past week's blogs I figure he deserves it. Don't get me wrong, he still acts like a petulant child, gets on my nerves, pisses me off, oh wait, I was saying why I loved him. Right. Despite all his husband-ly behavior, he's a damn good guy with a damn big heart. And G-d knows he takes my shit, and, trust me, that makes him a good man because I am excellent at slinging the shit. That doesn't mean you shouldn't want to strangle him when he does the next idiotic, insensitive thing (check back tomorrow), I just wanted to go on the record.

I'm sure hubby is alternately blushing, confused, and basking in this right now. We are not the type for PDA's, we rarely treat each other to romantic gifts or cards, we often bicker. But as I watch many of our seemingly compatible peers split up, I realize that whatever we are, it works for us.

As we get older, it is ever more apparent, that couples are rarely what they seem to the outside world. I have stopped comparing ourselves to the facades, badgering for perfection, and making both of us miserable. Marriage is hard work and it's for freaking ever. Sometimes we're best friends, sometimes we're enemies, and other times, we're strangers asleep in the same bed. But when push comes to shove, we enjoy the same things: wine, travel, wine and travel, good food, wine and travel, honest friendships (remember we live in LA), and, of course, our children and our dog. On those rare weekend getaways, I recall why we got together in the first place (easily forgotten in the hustle and bustle we call home). We laugh.

I don't think I've lowered my expectations, I think I've finally learned the real deal. So, hubby, sorry for being such a bitch lately.

Now can you fix the computer, move the printer, fix the door on the entertainment cabinet, and pick up your own damn underwear?!?

Love, the Wife.

2 Comments:

InTheFastLane said...

Sometimes it is hard to really feel this, but other times, I look at him and that newlywed feeling comes rushing back and I remember what it is about him that I love so much. I think we need to cultivate those times. It will get us through the other times.

Manic Mommy said...

Oh, damn. Are we publicly confessing when we've been a bitch? I may need a whole 'nother blog.

Yeah, I like my husband too. No grand romatic gestures but "bye, love you" is how we hang up the phone.

That was nice.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.