Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Latest Wacky Attempt At Calling Myself A Writer: NaNoWriMo

This is a short post. 
It has to be.
Wanna know why?

'Cause I've up and started my novel.
Yes, I said novel.
Not a great American.
Just a novel.

Oh, and I'm writing it in 30 days.
Yes, I said 30 days.

'Cause I'm an idiot that way.
'Cause otherwise I'll spend another 15 years writing nothing.



It's called NaNoWriMo.  NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth.
For everyone else it's in November.
Crazy people, like me, get together online and spend the month of November killing themselves. 
They lose touch with their families, forget to shower, drink too much coffee, eat too much junk, chew their nails to the quick, pull out their hair. 
But they do it together.
And at the end of the nightmare they are rewarded with a first draft, albeit, most likely an awful one, of their novel.

The timing makes sense.
The weather is miserable in November. 
The kids are in school.
It's before all the holidays.
But I rarely do things that make sense.
And I can't wait that long.

So.

I'm doing it this summer.
Starting today in fact.
While living in sunny California.
Within walking distance of the beach.
During the time we take our family vacation.
And while my kids are going to be home ALL THE TIME.

Make sense?
Not to me either
But... WTF

So wish me luck.
Don't mind my absences.
And please feel free to check up on me to make sure I'm not rocking back and forth and babbling incoherently and my ludicrous endeavor.

Really, I'm going to need someone to kick my ass encouragement.

So, here goes.
You heard it here first.
Now I have to do it.

Wait.  Is that a dust bunny under the bed?

8 Comments:

I can't find my blog said...

You go Girl! Write it and I promise I'll order an advance copy from Amazon!

Andrea's Sweet Life said...

Good for you!! I'm so proud of you for just going for it!

I started a novel back in October, but I shared it with someone else and didn't get a very good response, which killed my mojo.

I keep telling myself I'll get back to it. Maybe you'll be my inspiration!

shrink on the couch said...

You can do it, I know you can!

ByJane said...

Terrific idea! I applaud you. And cheer you on. And kick your butt when appropriate. Virtually, of course.

Manic Mommy said...

Can't wait to read the first draft. Willing to share any plot points?

sarah said...

Wow! I just found your blog through twitter. SO impressed you're writing a novel!

If you're going to do it, June and July in California is the time to do it---air conditioning is our friend!

Stephanie Klein said...

Good for you! I hope you listen to loverly music, get all cozy, merlot in hand, and enjoy every moment of it.

Lisa Alex Gray said...

I'll join you. Sounds like a fun challenge.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.