Monday, May 18, 2009

Give Me The Grateful Life - Monday



It's Monday.  Give Me the Grateful Life Monday.

Except I am frustrated today.  With myself and my kids.
But in light of finding things to be grateful for (because isn't that what this is all about, finding gratitude even when you're not quite feeling it?), I am going to find a way to turn my angst into appreciation.

Here goes:

  • Even though my kids are both locked in their rooms because of yet another fight about chores and homework (and in the case of my son an all-out scream fest), I am grateful that they are home, safe, and healthy.
  • Instead of beating myself up over battling yet another round of writer's block, I am going to focus on how grateful I am for having the time to pursue something I love and TRY to take the pressure off so I can enjoy it.
  • Despite spending a significant part of my days distracted by and tending to my insatiably active puppy, I am still grateful for having her around 'cause she's so cute, an amazing guard dog, and I just couldn't imagine not having her around.  (Most of the time.)
  • I am grateful for the BBQ with friends last night and for watching a video of our kids in pre-school when my son's hair was neat and clean and so were the words that came out of his mouth.
  • I am grateful for having friends who are do-ers (Elisa, Susan and Jennifer - The Lemonade Initiative ladies) and motivate me to get out of my head and out of my house to fight injustices like the drastic LAUSD budget cuts.
  • I am grateful last night's earthquake was not the big one. 


Wow.  See what happened?  I went from forcing myself to feel grateful to actually feeling grateful.   If you "act" you will "be".  I honestly feel better.  Pretty cool.


What are you grateful for this week?

6 Comments:

PrincessJenn said...

I love posts like this. Sometime's it so hard to remember why we signed up for this Mom job in the first place.

We actually created a 'I'm Grateful For...' board in our house. When we think of something, it gets posted on there, so on days when we're feeling less appreciative, we have something to remind ourselves.

I can't find my blog said...

I am grateful that my son's baseball team is playing well. (It was a really rough start to the season.)
I am grateful for overtime-just when we need it.
I am grateful for a 3 day weekend looming on the horizon: sleeping in, and a barbeque with friends are the only thing on the agenda. Bliss.

Manic Mommy said...

I am grateful that my house is painted and looking so very much better.

I am grateful that HRH's school year is drawing to a close and that he will be among his peers next year and praying for a healthy transition.

I am grateful for my wonderful neighbors and neighborhood where my children and we can enjoy security and community.

Christy said...

Good for you--sometimes it's the little things, right?

Andrea's Sweet Life said...

I am grateful for deodorant, because we hit 105 degrees yesterday.

anymommy said...

I'm glad the earthquake was a small one as well. It is amazing the effect attitude can have on overall happiness, although I constantly forget.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.