Monday, June 9, 2008

The Day After

Yesterday afternoon's baby shower was lovely. The mother-to-be looked radiant. It was everything a baby shower should be (no game were played, yay.) Watching the expectant couple open gift after gift, it was fun to see their faces as they realized the baby was indeed real, coming soon ... and bringing with her a whole lot of baggage.

The visit at the hospital that followed was tough. My emotions got a workout having both events back to back. In the span of a few hours, I was joyful, sad, hopeful, angry, bewildered, curious, and frustrated. My head was reeling.

For my sick friend, there are no easy answers. No wonder drugs. No magic potions. Just, very possibly, a Sophie's choice of who should live and who should die. It doesn't get more difficult than that.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. Your suggestions helped me make the visit less about my apprehension and more about her comfort.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't give you any advice because I absolute did not have any. Blessings on you for visiting your sick friend. Hopefully your presence was enough.

msmeta

InTheFastLane said...

It is terrible that a decision like that has to be made. There is no way to wrap your mind around a thing like that.

S said...

Oh, that Sophie's Choice.

Awful.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Ain't this internets thing grand? You can reach out to a bunch of friends you've never met about something troubling you.

I think that's awesome. :)

Margaret

Your Pal Pinki said...

My good thoughts are sent your way to you and yours.

I agree with Margaret. What did we ever do without this world wide web???

: ) Tammi

Anonymous said...

Thank you to everyone for your good wishes for my friend. It is nice to have a support system out there - even if I've only met one of you. You know who you are...

Magpie said...

Oh wow. I can't imagine.

My mother has metastasized lung cancer, and I simply can't imagine her being pregnant too.

Best to your friend.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.