Tuesday, April 1, 2008

WHOOPS THERE IT IS

Here I sit staring at my computer rather than between my sheets watching television because while bathing I brainstormed a concept for a post.

And by the time I got here...

I forgot it!

No shit. Really. The whole idea just up and left my brain.
Jeez.

This used to happen to me all the time in business meetings. I'd be called upon or eagerly offer up an opinion or fact and I'd drop my voice in mid-sentence because my brain was unable to remember what came next. It felt like a curtain descending unexpectedly in the middle of a play. Needless to say it was embarrassing. The fog descended often enough that at one meeting a fellow executive publicly handed me a package of Ginkgo-Biloba. Not one of my finest executive moments.

Is it age? Did I smoke too much weed in college and into my 20's?

Okay, it's come back to me. I wanted to post about my daughter and our current battle of wills. She is a picky eater, always has been. Now, in her pre-pubescent form she is refusing to eat anything except her favorite meals. Trouble is her favorite meals, carmelized apple crepes and homemade chicken soup to name a few, require marketing and time consuming preparation. These are actions I'd rather not make time for right now because, OMG, I'm really going to say this, yes, a mom is really going to come out and publicly state that, "I'D RATHER BE DOING THINGS FOR MYSELF LIKE WRITING THAN PREPARING DELICIOUS, HEALTHY MEALS FOR MY CHILDREN TO EAT!!"

I don't know maybe it's all the meals I did spend hours preparing that nobody ate! Maybe it's all the "ewww" and "gross" comments and the default yogurts they ate instead.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that my daughter has not eaten well lately because we are both stubborn creatures and we are fighting our respective fights to the death. She refuses to eat anything that comes from the freezer. I refuse to dirty up numerous pots, pans and dishes to cater to her sophisticated and particular palate. I'm sick of starting dinner at 4:30 and leaving the kitchen at 8:30 only to put the kids to bed and become free at 9:30! Because then, like right now, I'm sitting at the computer at 10pm instead of watching "The New Adventures of Old Christine" on TIVO!

I didn't end up delving into the food battles with my pre-teen daughter to the depths I dreamed up in the bathtub. Maybe I'll come up with some more ideas for the post tomorrow night while luxuriating in my 3 minute soak. This time I'll take my laptop in with me.


9 Comments:

Lynn - the piggy bank painter said...

OMG! I do the same thing. But I am usually in the car with some great blog idea, and by the time I get home, I forgot I even wanted to post to my blog.

I do know one of my next posts is gonna be how much and why I hate to cook. I think freezer food is the best!! Okay, maybe not the best for you, but the taste makes up for it (sometimes).

Lynn

Dawn said...

I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's prepared foods. Brown some sausage or chicken and throw in a package of TJ's frozen pasta.

Or grab the pork carnitas and toss it into a tortilla with some cheese and chopped tomatoes.

Ultimately, I don't think we should be spending all our time in the kitchen. One big meal a week or on the weekends and easier meals during the week.

One friend I know lets her kids just have cereal with milk and fruit for dinner one or two nights a week because they prefer it to a real meal.

I don't think it's the worst thing you can do, especially if your kid's being weird about food.

Also, with girls especially, you can't let them become regimented about food because it's an entree into eating disorders.

Anonymous said...

Happens to me all the time; I'll have an absolutely smashing idea for a post and by the time I actually sit down to write it - poof! It's gone.

And don't feel to bad - my kids ate Wendy's last night. This coming from a woman who hasn't had a loaf of store-bought bread or packaged cookies in her home for weeks. Cooking simply wasn't on the agenda last night.

And I feel your "picky child" pains - my 13-year-old would eat nothing but pizza, Pringles and macaroni and cheese if he had his say.

InTheFastLane said...

I think, because she is prob. old enough, that if she doesn't want what you have, then she can cook for herself. At least that is easy for me to say :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn and Jan, Welcome to my smidgen of the blogosphere! Thanks for your support.

Dawn, love the cereal for dinner idea. I've done breakfast for dinner but never cereal. Not sure I could actually go through with the cereal thing but in a pinch maybe...

inthefastlane- nice idea but cook? microwave yes, cook, no way. i'd be in here supervising anyway hoping she doesn't set the house on fire. maybe in a year or so.

Anonymous said...

Another reason I love your blog - you're a bad mom too! Just kidding. It reminded me of the episode where school was cancelled for, like, the seventh day straight because of a DUSTING of snow, and when I emailed the superintendent to complain about it, he emailed me back that other areas were icy, blah blah blah, and how of course I would put the safety of the students above everything else. And I thought, "You would think that. . . but. . ."
As for the picky eating, hey, that's why God invented Poptarts and Pizza Rolls.

Lynn - the piggy bank painter said...

Oh, I'm a bad mom too! My daughter actually prefers to eat at her friend's house because her mom cooks actual meals....I tell her all the time I am coming with her. I want a COOK!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I thought I was the only mom who would rather write or do my own thing than focus on meeting all of my children's many needs all hours of the day and night.

Really, how can I be expected to navigate my midlife crisis when I have two seven-year-olds actually expecting me to ... unbelievable ... pay attention to them!

Oh well, at least I'm not the only mom on a guilt trip out there. Glad to be a member of the club.

mah-meeee said...

i do that too... i would be lying in bed and had this great idea for the blog. then i prance up int he morning to go to my computer just to find that i forgot that great idea.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.