Friday, January 18, 2008

NUTS & BOLTS: BLOG HELP NEEDED


I've spent two weeks or so out here in the blogosphere and I'm slowly settling in. But there are questions I cannot solve and finding live customer service out here is impossible. I'm hoping some of you blogmoms will find it in your hearts to help out this newbie:

1. My feedburner reads are inaccurate. The feed is active and viable but the stats are clearly wrong. How do I remedy this?

2. Which social websites are best to increase traffic for this category of blog? Del.icio.us? StumbleUpon? Magnolia? Do they really work? Are there any caveats to joining these communities?

3. Advertising. I'm using Adsense and will inquire to BlogHer when I'm up for a month. Are there other money-making opportunities I should explore?

Thanks a lot.

2 Comments:

S said...

I'm probably not a good person to ask, but here goes:

1. Feedburner took quite awhile to get my stats. accurately. Make sure to coordinate your Blogger settings with Feedburner. On Feedburner's main page, there should be a Blogger icon (orange) with instructions on how to do that. Then you may start getting increased numbers in your Feedburner stats.

2. Umm. Technorati is the only one I joined. I'd get yourself a Technorati account (if you don't already have one) and "claim" your blog. Technorati spells it all out pretty clearly for you. Oh, I guess I also joined a few of the book groups -- Shelfari is one.

3. I run Google AdSense and BlogHer ads. That's all. I also review for PBN (http://www.parentbloggers.com).

Hope at least a little of that helped. Oh, and you might want to ditch comment moderation. Sometimes it discourages people from leaving comments...they want to see their comments pop up right away. Word verification, too. I got rid of it. And I've never had any trouble with spam.

Dawn said...

I haven't used Feedburner, but rather Google Analytics. I love it. I don't know anything at all about Feedburner so can't compare the two, but GA allows you to drill down so you can learn a fair bit about who is reading your blog.

I also created a Technorati account, but one thing I've found helpful is simply building relationships with other bloggers and having reciprocal links.

For almost a year Blogher was not accepting new blogs for hosting ads, so I only recently signed up and have not starting hosting ads yet. I have to say I haven't made a cent of AdSense in almost two years of hosting ads. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Good luck with it all.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.