Monday, March 28, 2011

No Longer Greek To Me OR I'm A Little Bit Smarter Today Than I Was Yesterday

Over here at this great writing blog, Storyfix, Larry Brooks taught me something new and then made me laugh a whole lotta times. 

Do you know what a  paraprosdokian is?
Can you close your eyes and spell it?

If you're anything like I was, the answer is no on both counts.

But I'm here to enlighten you.  To pay it forward. . .

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect.

For example:

– I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

– Do not argue with an idiot.  He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

– I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

– Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

– The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

– Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

– If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

– We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.

– War does not determine who is right — only who is left.

– Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

– The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

– Evening news is where they begin with ‘Good evening,’ and then proceed to tell you why it isn’t.

– To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

There are plenty more to chuckle over here if you're interested...  http://storyfix.com/monday-musings-and-mundane-morning-munchies

Enjoy.

merlotmom





0 Comments:

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.