Thursday, May 6, 2010

Yummy Makes Me Want To Puke: A Merlotmom Rant


Okay.  Will someone please tell me when the word yum, and yummy became the mainstay of this nation's culinary vocabulary?  I mean, do I have Rachel Ray to thank for that.  YUM-O!!!! 

F.U!!!!!

Truly.  There's an app by that name, a song title by that name, a cupcake bakerymac software, a grocery store.  Must I go on???

If I see one more email from a school parent describing the yummy snacks desired for a class party or one more flier screaming out in exclamation points about the yummy treats for sale at the community event I am going to take some of my own YUMMY goodies AND SHOVE THEM UP SOMEONE'S SUPER YUMMY A**!

I detest this word.  What are we?  Babies?  Mommies feeding babies?  "Open up the choo choo, honey, here comes some yummy mashed up chicken and peas!"  Blech.  For god's sake.  Can we give up the charade and sound like the adults we are for a change?  PLEASE?!

Even tasty goes down better than yummy

I declare a moratorium on yum, yummy, and any derivatives thereof.

Anybody with me?

8 Comments:

amy said...

Can I say "yummy tummy tummy time?"

AMomToBoys said...

Jeez, lady. Who pissed in your cheerios this morning? :0)

That? Would most definitely not be yummy. Heh.

I crack myself up.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

But if it weren't for the plethora and overuse of "yummy", how would the word "puke-o-rama" ever come to be?

nice rant, by the way.

diane said...

AMEN!!!
One of my biggest pet-peeves is when parents "baby-talk" to their kids, but to hear adults use this kind of talk TO adults-----WHY!?

Kristi said...

There's a party in my tummy! So yummy! So YUMMY!

Sorry. I couldn't resist! ;-)

Manic Mommy said...

Raises hand to join the rant, Sista!
I've always maintained that if you speak to your children like babies, they will sound like babies. Doing it when speaking to each other is an unfortunate side-effect but we don't have to embrace it.

dkuroiwa said...

Personally, I'm of the belief that the word yummy should a)only be used to children or b)if you are singing the "yummy, yummy, yummy, i got love in my tummy, and i feel like lovin' you" song.

in some "how to speak English" book that most Japanese must have in their possession, the word "yummy" is actually used. ergo...i'm battling a whole freakin' country about this word.
~~sigh~~
i'm a busy teacher!

have a good one...OH! and Happy Mother's Day!

Elisa said...

You gave a good laugh :)

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.