Friday, February 8, 2008

LIVING UP TO MY NAME


It's Friday.
Fun Fact Friday
as I so creatively appointed it last week.
Well, here's a fun fact... I'm drunk.
It's 4pm in the afternoon, my kids are watching tv downstairs, the dishwasher repair man just left after 20 minutes work with $300 of our hard earned $$$, and I'm at my computer... D.R.U.N.K.

Not, if I stand up now I'll fall down, drunk. More like, having trouble getting my ass downstairs to make dinner and fingers slipping off the keys drunk.

It 's all been accumulating since last weekend. If you've been reading my blog (my Feedburner feed's not working so I have no idea whose even reading my damn blog!!), you know I've had a week of computer hell, sick child hell, and post-sickness child-in-regression hell. I've been accosted 14/7 with ear-splitting shrieks, whines, and full-out screams. I 've been a hair's distance away from self-igniting.

No amount of exercise or hot baths are helping. Even going to my usual supermarket today, the one I know like the inside of my own kitchen, the one that in that strange only mommies can understand way, sometimes gives me peace, only contributed to my frustration. I must have tranversed the market at least 6 times having forgotten this and forgotten that. Arghhhh!

So here I sit, with my glass of merlot (okay it's syrah - shhhh, don't tell anyone), reading blogs and worrying about pondering what to write. But I think I've pondered too long because my glass is near empty and so, too, is my brain. But I need to write. I need to write more than I need to mother, more than I need to run my new business, more than I need to be a wife. It's true. And feeling as if I'm giving that part of myself the short-shrift is most probably the root of my condition.

But, before I bore you with more blather...I'm going to share with you (it's Fun Fact Friday!!!) something funny a friend sent to me.

"When all creative coffers are kaput, when all you can manage is to cut and paste," I say,"steal from the tried and true, the genius." So without further ado...

"Next Life" by Woody Allen

In my next life I want to live my life backwards. You start out dead and get that out of the way. Then you wake up in an old people's home feeling better every day. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, and then when you start work, you get a gold watch and a party on your first day. You work for 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You party, drink alcohol, and are generally promiscuous, then you are ready for high school. You then go to primary school, you become a kid, you play. You have no responsibilities, you become a baby until you are born. And then you spend your last 9 months floating in luxurious spa like conditions with central heating and room service on tap, larger quarters every day and then Voila! You finish off as an orgasm! I rest my case.


I'm going to set myself or my house on fire now....have a nice weekend.

5 Comments:

InTheFastLane said...

LOL! I am laughing that you are drunk blogging, but not laughing at you because it sounds like you could use a good drink.

That quip from W.A. was so funny. I really was laughing out loud.

Dawn said...

This post gave me my first real smile of the night. I'm a little drunk myself, although it's 11 p.m. I had my first drink at 6 p.m., a margarita. But I thought about it for hours before I finally got to have it.

I have known too many days though like the week you've had.

Hope the weekend brings lots of help from Mr. Merlot and that you get to relax.

mah-meeee said...

oh my... i totally feel you! today after i picked up my preschooler at 3pm, she came home with a runny nose and the nastiest attitude. it gets worse when she decided to throw a screaming tantrum for an hour, which woke up my newborn. then with two screaming children and a splitting headache, i found myself having a glass of cab at 4 pm!

hang in there, i hope i will!

S said...

oh, hon! i'm sorry that you had a rough week. the woody allen quote is so apt -- i agree. that's the way life should be lived.

hope things are going better today.

Manic Mommy said...

Two glasses of Cabernet at a neighbor's 4-year-old party and all I got is this lousy headache.

Somedays you're the windshield, somedays you're the bug.

I love that you wrote 14/7.

©2010 merlotmom.com. All rights reserved. Reproductions of any portion of this website only at the express permission of merlotmom.com.